Adelaide S. Hunter Hoodless Homestead
Adelaide Hunter was born in this farm house and lived here until she
married John Hoodless in 1881. On February 19th 1897 she organized at
Stoney Creek the world's first Women's Institute.
It was her belief
that in this organization rural women could discuss their problems and
work together to improve their standard of homemaking and citizenship.
The movement spread rapidly throughout Ontario and later to other
provinces. Mrs. Hoodless, a natural leader and forceful speaker,
introduced the teaching of domestic science into Ontario schools and
obtained funds for the building of Macdonald Institute at Guelph.
Erected by the Ontario Archeological and
Adelaide Sophia Hunter Hoodles
The original portrait
done in 1907 by John Wycliffe Lowes Forster is at the MacDonald
Institute Building at the Ontario Agricultural College, Guelph.
In 1950, the Federated Women’s Institutes of Ontario donated this
painting of their founder Adelaide Sophia Hunter Hoodless to Canada.